I have a bundle of recipes just floating around in the spaces between my to do lists, daydreams and whatever decides to bounce around in my brain throughout my days. And this recipe is one that has been begging to come to be for months. Please tell me I am not the only one this happens to!
I am primarily pestered by this recipe idea when take home leftover chips and salsa from our favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant.
Because, I imagine no better way to use up leftover chips & salsa than to mix them with eggs, cheese & a few other handy ingredients – turning them into the yummiest breakfast cup EVER.
Finally, last night — 20 minutes before dinner was on the table, I gathered my ingredients and began taking steps toward checking this recipe idea off of “THE” list.
David looked at me strangely – thinking “what is she doing with half-a-dozen eggs and our leftovers…and why is she doing it now?!”. But as I muttered some things like, “I have to do this, it will be so good & it will only take a few minutes…”, he recognized the signs and moved out of my way.
Ten minutes later, these yummies were in my oven and the quick steps of clean-up began.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredient short list:
- corn tortilla chips, about 2 cups ((leftover broken bits from the Mexi restaurant are perfect))
- 6 eggs
- 2 c grated cheese ((I used hatch green chili cheddar and swiss))
- 1/3 c finely diced red onion ((any color will do, actually))
- 3 – 4 T heavy cream
- 1/2 c salsa ((I used salsa verde))
- 1/2 t sea salt & 1/2 t ground pepper
I think this was the moment I knew these would be a hit. Just look how pretty!
Cream is a wonderful addition to a baked egg recipe, helping to prevent the eggs from drying out & becoming rubbery.
Place enough chips in each muffin cup to cover the bottom to about halfway up the sides.
Evenly distribute the egg mixture into all 9 cups. I used a ladle to do this, rather than pouring directly from the bowl which helped ensure each cup received an equal amount of cheese, peppers ((from the salsa)) & onions.
20 minutes later, they came out of a 400° oven – perfectly fluffed and baked through. And the smell: spicy blended with fresh corn tortilla. Mmm, I could not wait! I promptly peeled the cup away and bit into all 332° of my recipe daydream. I think the first words out of my mouth were “I was right!” followed by “You have to try this!” followed by “did you burn your mouth too?”
As David nodded his head, I asked him if he wanted anymore or did he want to pass in light of the dinner that would be served in 5 minutes, he pointed to the 2 remaining ((photo-op)) cups and said “I will eat them now.” Yes, this is one of those recipes, worth burning your mouth for!
I think I could eat these for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Well – I know I can, because that is exactly what I did today! I love it when an idea comes to life and is even better than I imagined!
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 2 c shredded cheese ((I used hatch cheddar and swiss))
- 1/3 c red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c salsa verde
- 3 - 4 T heavy cream
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place 9 baking cups on a baking sheet or 9 muffin cup liners into a muffin tin. Place chips into the bottom of 9 baking cups, filling the cups 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. In a medium mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and whisk until everything is combined. Using a ladle, add equal amounts of the egg mixture to each cup.
- Place the baking sheet & breakfast cups into the oven and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until center is set and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serves 9