Let’s talk about a pantry staple dream dinner! This oven roasted chicken & veggie dinner is a creation of ((what I consider to be)) pantry essentials. Now, I am aware that my idea of pantry essentials may not line-up with what you consider to be essential to a stocked pantry. So let me go ahead and share the short-list of recipe necessities:
- chicken thighs ((bone-in, skin-on))
- sweet Hungarian paprika
- tumeric ((this is optional))
- s & p
- white wine ((I used Pinot Grigio))
- veggies ((carrots, peppers, onions, mushrooms, potatoes — any combo of what you have on hand))
- rice or mashed potatoes
For this recipe, there are 2 ways I like to make it depending on whether the chicken is fresh or frozen. Although I will be detailing the recipe using semi-thawed chicken, let me just quickly mention how this recipe works for fresh chicken. Season the skin side with s & p and sear ((in a skillet)) skin-side down until the skin is crisp and some of the fat is rendered. Remove the chicken, drain fat & continue following the remainder of the recipe.
Turmeric is totally optional – I just love the extra color it adds!
Cornstarch does a beautiful job of perfectly thickening the paprika gravy as the chicken & veggies roast in the oven.
Speaking of veggies, this recipe is a “use what you have on hand” recipe. I happened to have a bell pepper, shallot, some mushrooms & a few strips of bacon. Carrots, celery, potatoes & onions are tasty too.
Let the chicken soak in the cream, wine, spices & cornstarch for 30 minutes to 6 hours.
Add the chicken, sauce & veggies to a baking dish and roast for 45-55 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is nicely thickened.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
My favorite part of this meal is the addition of sweet paprika. Small amounts of paprika are not easily noticed in a recipe, but when ¼ cup is added, an amazing rustic earthiness develops. The paprika, combined with the cream & wine and perfectly thickened with cornstarch – such deep, rich, old world flavors. All this yumminess is made simple, thanks to a well-stocked pantry. What is a MUST in your pantry??
- 12 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/4 c sweet paprika
- 1 T tumeric ((optional))
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 2 T sugar
- 1 t each kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 1/3 c cornstarch
- 2 1/4 c cream
- 3/4 c white wine ((I used Pinot Grigio))
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2-3 c veggies**, chopped ((carrots, peppers, onions, mushrooms, potatoes -- any combo of what you have on hand))
- 4 strips applewood smoked bacon, chopped ((optional))
- steamed rice or mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°*. In a medium mixing bowl, combine paprika, turmeric, garlic, salt & pepper. Add corn starch, cream & white wine, whisking to combine. Place chicken in a large mixing bowl & pour seasoning cream sauce over the chicken, tossing to coat. Cover & allow the chicken to marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes to 6 hours. Divide chicken and sauce into a 9" x 13" & an 8" x 8" baking dish, top with chopped veggies and bacon if desired. Bake at 400° for 45-55 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving over rice or mashed potatoes.
- This recipe works best if the chicken is at least semi-thawed. If totally frozen, adjust cooking time accordingly ((at least 15 minutes)).
- *Preheat oven 15 minutes before ready to cook. ((If marinating, don't preheat until after marinating, of course, I am sure you know that already!))
- **I have used a variety of veggies, potatoes & onions are a crowd favorite!
- ***An alternative cooking method is to sear the chicken, skin side down ((in a large oven-proof skillet)) until the skin is golden & crispy. Drain the skillet of fat, return chicken to the skillet, add seasoned cream sauce & veggies and bake for 30-45 minutes until cooked through and sauce is thickened.