Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake ((A cake that traditions are made of!!))
As far as food traditions go, this one ranks right up there! If there is a family gathering, a birthday, a reason to celebrate — or just because, chances are — this cake will be there.
Now, in general – I am a homemade kind of girl. I love following yummy recipes and enjoy using minimally processed foods, BUT. That’s right, I ended my sentence after the word but. I am a Pillsbury girl as well, remember?? There are times to use these products — and I say “No time like the present!”
This is a great recipe, very tasty, very simple, very beautiful & very addictive! I always find myself ‘evening up’ the edges. Do you know about that trick?? Calories don’t exist if all you are doing is making cuts more even, edges more straight & servings more symmetrical ((right??)).
I have seen versions of this recipe ‘around’ and am not sure where we originally came across the little gem. It possibly came from our Grandma Alice or maybe Great Aunt Betty. If you happen to know, I would love to give credit to the mastermind behind such yumminess! I have an inclination that Mrs. Crocker, or Mr. D. Hines … or maybe even Pill S. Bury shared a version of this recipe with the world decades ago, and like wildfire – it took off!
My MIL (Cheryl) has been making this recipe for years and our entire clan has experienced love at first bite! All 26 of us ((babies included)) know just how perfectly great this treat is!
Every year this cake appears at the lake, so even before the entire week’s menu had been planned, we all know The Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake will be on the dessert list.
As long as you have access to an oven, a mixing bowl & a spoon – this cake can be baked anywhere! ((This view can’t help but make food taste better!))
We always talk about modifying the cake recipe by switching up cake mix & pudding flavors – but this combo is so good, I really can’t imagine anything better. But, I will say, I have a funfetti cake mix that is just begging to be experimented with!
Be prepared: once you serve this cake to your clan, you will be making it for.the.rest.of.your.life! Thankfully, it is easy — hey, you could make it look harder than it is! Splash a little water on your brow and dust the side of your cheek with a bit of flour & they will be begging to help wash dishes ((haha!!)).
Just be sure to leave all the dishes from breakfast, lunch & dinner strewn about the kitchen or else they will figure your hoax out real quick. (Not that I have ever done that before…well, I haven’t but maybe I should start!)
- 1 small box of instant chocolate pudding
- 2 c milk
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 c oil
- 2 t vanilla
- 1/2 bag chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9"x13" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine pudding and milk. Add cake mix & oil, stirring until most of the lumps are gone. Add 2t of vanilla, stir to combine.
- Pour batter into baking dish, sprinkle with chocolate chips & place in oven for 28-32 minutes.*
- Remove from oven & allow to cool slightly before cutting to serve.
- We love serving it with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
- *The toothpick test really will not work for this cake because it is so moist. Make sure the center of the cake is firm, no longer 'wet' looking and doesn't jiggle when moved.