Crispy Oven-Roasted Salt & Pepper Chicken + Veggies
I promised a series of lighter recipes all intended to help in the efforts of getting back into all of the clothes hanging in my closet. Then I had the idea to teach myself how to make bread.
Well, it’s been a slower process thanks to becoming a better bread maker – but I am still focused on the goal. With that in mind, I thought I’d share one of our family favorites for dinnertime – oven roasted crispy chicken & veggies.
I kept this recipe SUPER simple by seasoning with just salt & pepper. Something about “keeping it simple” really highlights the “comfort food” aspect of this home-cooked meal. Thanks to a secret ingredient and a drizzle of canola oil, this chicken becomes juicy and crisp in the oven with very little added fat & calories.
The secret ingredient is a few tablespoons of cornstarch. This helps to draw moisture out of the skin, creating a light & crispy skin.
A mix of rainbow carrots, golden potatoes, white onions and celery sticks – sprinkled with some s & p and a drizzle of canola makes a perfect bed for the chicken legs.
Simply toss the chicken legs in s & p and cornstarch then place them atop the veggies.
So yummy and full of flavor – but friendly on the waistline. The chicken is crisp, moist and perfectly (and simply seasoned). But my favorite part is the surprise of just how yummy the oven roasted celery is. Slightly sweet and a bit salty as it absorbed the roasting juices of the chicken and magnified the celery flavor in the best way.
Everyone needs a meal that is simple, fast, tasty, inexpensive (this meal fed 6 for under $10 TOTAL!!)) AND easy on the waistline, right?! Well, here you go, hope you enjoy!
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 3 T cornstarch
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into sticks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into sticks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into sticks
- 1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- 3-4 T canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly spread cut veggies across both sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2-3 T canola oil. Toss to coat and space evenly across baking sheets again.
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken drumsticks in cornstarch, salt and pepper (approximately 1/2 teaspoon of each) and drizzle with remaining canola oil.
- Place drumsticks atop veggies, be sure they are evenly spaced & not touching.
- Place baking sheets into preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and crisped and the veggies are tender.
- Serves 6.