Cooking with Kiddos & Crayons in the Kitchen ((oh, and there is chocolate))
Every once in a while we have a sweet after dinner ((mostly when company is coming or we are celebrating)). I have 4 little sets of eyes that are keenly trained to detect the difference between dinner prep & dessert prep. All of the sudden, I have many kind offers of helping, stirring, holding, dumping …. and of course licking!
As soon as the bag of See’s chips came out of the chocolate chip jar – the troops surrounded me & began giving and taking orders. I can always find ways for them to help – sometimes it is not very easy to find jobs for them. But with this recipe, they were able to assemble the entire dessert with very little help from me.
The trickiest part is melting the chocolates & the chopping of the nuts can be a bit hazardous because the pistachios tend to roll around the board, so I handled those parts. But the kiddos did everything else.
The funnest part ((not including licking)) was adding the white chocolate drizzle. Each kiddo HAD to have turn at the drizzle station!
We used semi-sweet See’s chips for the base, white chocolate for the drizzle and pistachios, dried apples & dried cranberries. It was delicious – but you can adjust your additions according to what you have on hand & what your family loves!
- 1 1/2 c semi-sweet chips (I used See's)
- 1/2 c white chocolate chips
- 3/4 c chopped dried fruit (I used diced dried apples & cranberries)
- 1/2 c roughly chopped nuts (I used salted pistachios)
- Line a medium making sheet with parchment paper.
- In the microwave, melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a small microwaveable dish. I started by placing the bowl in the micro for 25 secs, stirred, and replaced it in the micro in 10 sec. intervals stirring between intervals, until the chips were melted.
- Repeat the same process with the white chips. Add the dried fruit & nuts to the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour onto parchment paper & spread out to desired thickness.
- Drizzle melted white chocolate on top of the semi-sweet chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Remove from fridge when hardened & break into large chunks.
- Place in a baggie and store in the fridge.