See’s Chocolate Ganache
The other night we celebrated Kade’s half-birthday. I made a simple recipe ((“Dinette Cake”)) from my vintage Betty Crocker cookbook. For the frosting, I used the ½ batch of leftover Orange Dream Buttercream I had tucked away in my fridge for such a time as this. It was easy, tasty, perfect and done…until I got the idea to pour a layer of heaven on top, in the form of some gorgeously glossy, dark, rich See’s Chocolate Ganache. I am pretty sure dark chocolate and orange are BFF’s.
3 ingredients and 2 minutes later, I was pouring the ganache over the buttercream frosted cake. It was still easy & tasty but the ganache elevated it to heavenly!!
The next time you want to add a little decadence to your cake, try this simple recipe! You will certainly impress everyone with your ‘skills’!
- 8 oz See's Semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/2 of the bag)
- 3 oz heavy cream
- 1 t coconut oil
- Place all ingredients in a microwavable glass bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, stir until incorporated. Pour over a cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes or unto one day ahead.
- This ganache could also be poured into a bowl to use as a dip.
- Can be refrigerated up to two weeks.
- * adding more cream will cause the ganache to have a thinner consistency, which may be what you prefer. play with the amount to reach your ideal consistency.
Oh, and try putting the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes after you cover the cake in ganache. Magical things happen while the cake chills!! The ganache firms and encapsulates the buttercream and cake. OH.MY…