Pretty Purple Pickle Onions
These pickled onions are so easy to make & will certainly add a burst of flavor to any meal. I have my sights on introducing these beauties to some tacos very soon!
These pickled onions would be also tasty on stew, steak or even a simple salad! And talk about a great way to add flavor without the calories! Perfect Pretty Purple Pickled Onions indeed!
There are many pickled onion recipes floating around, some suggested adding sliced limes or jalapeño. Both sound tasty & I plan on trying them out soon! For this recipe, I simply used:
- equal parts of cane sugar and kosher salt
- 2 T pickling spices (the pre-mixed McCormick’s blend)
- red wine vinegar
- 2 medium red onions.
I decided to speed up the process of pickling by bringing 1½ cups of vinegar and the dry ingredients to boil. This dissolved the salt & sugar and allowed the dried spices to release their flavors.
I chose a half-moon slice for these onions, but wedges and rings would work nicely too.
I think these pretty purple pre-pickled onions are politely promising to please the palate, don’t you?
I poured the steamy vinegar mixture right oven the jarred onions – this step also helps more quickly pickle the onions.
I topped the onions off with another pinch of salt & sugar and filled the jar with a cup of additional vinegar ((to cover the onions)), twisted on the lid and popped the pickling onions into the fridge. I do anticipate greatness! I will come back soon to share a peek at how I used these yummies. In the meantime, start your pickling engines!
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced ((I prefer the half-moon slice))
- 1 T ((heaping)) cane sugar*
- 1 T ((scant)) kosher salt*
- 2 T pickling spices
- 1½ c red wine vinegar** plus more to top off the onions
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar salt, spices and 1½ c vinegar and bring to boil over medium flame. Allow the mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes. While the mixture is simmering, place thinly sliced onions into a pint-sized jar. When simmering time is complete, carefully pour the hot spiced vinegar mixture over the onions and add additional vinegar to cover the tops of the onions. Add an extra pinch of both sugar & salt, place the lid on & tighten. Refrigerate for 1 hour to overnight. Lasts 4 weeks refrigerated.
- *Have a few extra pinches of each to sprinkle on top of the onions before sealing.
- **Any type of vinegar will work. I happened to only have red wine vinegar on hand, but plan to try with apple cider vinegar next time.