Cheesy Baked Green Chili & Onion Dip
Chances are, if you have been to my home for a shower, birthday, brunch, game day or any holiday — then you have had one of my all-time favorite baked dips “Onion Soufflé“. I first fell in love with this recipe 17 years ago ((but who’s counting)) when my mother-in-law, Cheryl, whipped it up for a holiday get-together.
I SO wish I could take credit for the recipe’s awesomeness, but truthfully, it would never have occurred to me to create a hot dip of mainly diced white onions. Even more, if I had come across the recipe in print, I sadly would have passed it by. How empty my snack life would be without this go-to recipe?!
Even though the traditional version of this recipe it SO amazing, I love changing it up a bit too.
For this recipe, I added just a few items to the ingredient list:
- Hatch green chili powder
- diced ((canned)) green chilies
- Hatch green chili cheddar
- Mexican oregano
Just those few simple tweaks made this go-to baked dip TOTALLY different and still so amazingly delicious!
Diced green chilies are a pantry staple in my home. I love adding them to my Big Country Breakfast Bread Pudding. They are so tasty in taco soup and they add a sneaky zip to homemade salsa ((just to name a few of their many uses)).
What we have here is a simple case of chop, shred, dump & stir — my favorite way of doing things in the kitchen.
Spread the mixture into a medium baker, top with a little more shredded cheese & a sprinkle of spices – and pop it into the oven.
30 to 40 minutes later, the cheeses are melted, the onions have softened and a yummy, golden cheesy crust has formed on the top of this spicy hot dip. Oh, and thanks to that little pinch of Mexican oregano & some Hatch green chili magic this bubbly dip has filled the kitchen with the most glorious, spicy aroma. Mouths are officially watering.
Crackers, chips & veggie sticks make the perfect partner to this dip — but who’s to say a spoon & a quiet corner wouldn’t work well too??
Those spicy ((but not fiery-hot)) chilies make this yummy dip just different enough from it’s Onion soufflé cousin. Yes, I am pretty sure all of my future parties need a big, bubbly baker of each.
- 3/4 c light Hellmann's mayo
- 2 medium sweet yellow onions diced
- 1 - 8 oz block of light cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 c Hatch cheddar or pepper jack cheese, hand shredded. ((Reserve a few T to sprinkle on the top before baking))
- 1 - 2 t Hatch green chili powder ((I use MILD))*
- 1 4 oz can Hatch chopped green chilies
- 1/2 t Mexican oregano
- 3-4 T parmesan
- 1 t (plus a few dashes for garnish) McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine ingredients and spread evenly into a small baking dish. Sprinkle reserved shredded cheese and steak seasoning on top. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the dip is medium golden brown on top and bubbly throughout.
- Serve with tortilla chips, bagel chips, pita chips or veggie sticks.
- *I order my chili powder online - google "Hatch green chili powder". Look for a company that accepts phone calls and is local to New Mexico. Call the company to ask any questions regarding freshness, varieties etc. Often, you can order Mexican oregano from the same company.