Cheesy Bacon & Jam Stuffed Biscuit Cups
I love making breakfast muffin cups and lately I have been on a real roll. The guys are homeschooled 3 days a week ((and Gracie is homeschooled exclusively)), so I get plenty of opportunities to try my breakfast ideas on them. They love my NomNoms ((check out all my recipes my clicking the link)), but some times I am in the mood for something a little simpler. Breakfast cups are about as simple as it gets.
Well, a bowl of Franken Berry is pretty simple – and so pleasing to their precious angel taste buds. But, I sure pay for that time ((and tear)) saver about 10 am. Tired, grumpy, hungry & begging for food – the whole lot of them. Then I have to scurry around making another meal in between breakfast & lunch. I banned sugar cereal breakfast in our house once I figured out that annoying pattern.
Yes, I definitely enjoy making a meal that will fill them up, give them energy and please their taste buds! Being the Pillsbury girl that I am ((PBO 2010)), I naturally gravitate toward the tasty canned crescents and biscuits. I try to keep a few cans stocked in my fridge for moments like these.
Today, I used a can of buttermilk biscuits but you could also use crescents OR even make your own homemade biscuit dough,
In addition, I used hand shredded sharp cheddar, pre-cooked bacon & cherry preserves ((YUM!!)).
Now, at first thought, you may be saying to yourself: “Ewww! These things don’t go together. Maybe cheese and bacon, or even bacon & preserves. But all three?? No Way!”
Hold on – trust me. It works. Like perfect – not just gets by but a WOW kind of perfect. Salty, sweet, buttery and tart. Ooh, I want one right now!
This recipe is so simple, but let me share a few tips:
- Split 6 biscuits in half. Pretend like each biscuit is a book and you are opening the book.
- Place each biscuit half into the bottom of a lined muffin tin. Press it into the tin, forming a biscuit cup.
- Fill each cup with chopped cooked bacon, shredded cheese and a teaspoon of preserves.
- There should be two remaining whole biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces and place a piece of biscuit dough on top of each biscuit cup.
- Bake & serve.
How easy is that?? I should mention, I have one boy who doesn’t like cherry ((unbelievable!!)). So I let him use those little packets of grape & strawberry jelly. He was so happy. My point is, any jelly will work. But you should try cherry, it is the best! If you don’t want to try cherry, try apricot it is also the best. The end.
- 1 can flaky layer biscuits (an 8 ct. can)
- 12 strips of precooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 c hand shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 t cherry preserves ((or preserves of choice))
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a muffin tin and set aside. Open the canned biscuits and split 6 in half ((as if you are opening a book)). Place one half of each biscuit in the bottom of your lined muffin tin, pressing the biscuit up the sides to form a cup wit the dough. Fill each cup with equal parts of shredded cheese, chopped bacon and 1 teaspoon of preserves. Cut the remaining two ((intact)) biscuits and cut each biscuit into 6 equal parts. Place one piece of the cut biscuit dough on top of each muffin.
- Place into the preheated oven & bake for 11-13 minutes until topping golden brown and biscuits are cooked through.
- Remove & allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6
Breakfast is served!