After-School Snack Time!! ((Hot n’ Ready Ham Roll-ups))
It is official, school is back in session. I have to admit – for the first time in several years, I am sad summer break is over. We had a great ((and very busy)) summer. The kids attended a few camps, we enjoyed our annual trip to Table Rock and we even managed to squeeze in a trip to Branson with my mom and dad.
But, in a blink, we jumped from packing and unpacking suitcases to gathering school supplies and packing backpacks. The boys attend a local private school that is a blend between homeschool and traditional school and their first in-class day was Thursday.
This year, Kade & Brod are in middle school, Shep is in 4th grade AND Gracie starts kindergarten ((say it ain’t so!!)). The guys leave the house about 7 and get home after 4 — what a long day!
I new they would be ready for a pick-me-up when they walked in the door and these roll-ups did just that.
The smell of warm bread baking in the oven greeted them as they walked in the door. Immediately, I was met with questions: “is that dinner?” “what is that?’ “can we have some now?” and then came the “wow!! thanks mom!!” and my fave — “THESE are SO good!!”.
I made two loaves of ham & cheese roll-ups by laying the crescent dough sheet out flat, covering it with a single layer of ham and placing three cheese sticks ((evenly spaced)) on top and rolling the whole thong up into one giant loaf. Each loaf can be cut into 5 even ((2½”)) sections.
Salami, pepperoni, or turkey & mozzerella, havarti or swiss would all be great twists on this simple snack. So just use what you have on hand!
These roll-ups are sure to please! After-school snacks like this one are sure to make long school days a little more tolerable, wouldn’t you think?
((The class pets agree with me!))
- 2 cans of crescent dough, I prefer sheets
- 16 slices of ham deli meat
- 6 cheese sticks, I used a cheddar/jack blend
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unroll the crescent sheets and line each sheet with a single layer of deli meat. Place the cheese sticks on top of the deli meat ((spaced evenly)).
- Starting with one of the two shorter sides, roll the ham and cheese crescent up and carefully place on the parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- When placing the second roll-up on the sheet, make sure there is 1" to 2' of space between the roll-ups.
- Place the roll-ups in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow them to cool 5 minutes before slicing. Each loaf can be cut into 5 servings.
- Serves 4
- Try salami, pepperoni, or turkey and mozzarella, havarti or swiss for a change!