Oven Roasted Green Beans Tossed in Sweet & Spicy Mustard
Fresh green beans are probably my most favorite side ((except for mashed potatoes, fried okra, fried zucchini, sliced fresh tomatoes, Mexican creamed corn… hmm, no wonder I write a food blog. The struggle — it’s real.)) Well, even though I do have a long list of “favorites” when it comes to sides, these green beans are no less awesome.
And when combined with mustard – and oven roasted??! They really are spectacular. Mustard is my most favorite condiment, I have a collection of mustards that ((often)) get eaten straight out of the jar…on a spoon. I guess it’s true what they say, you don’t Really love something unless you can eat it straight out of the jar, while standing in front of an open fridge.
I am clearly in a weird mood.
Moving on. Fresh green beans + awesome mustard〈all oven roasted〉 = YUM.
Perfectly oven roasted green beans need to start off in a salty bath of boiling water. This helps to get them tender before they go into the oven. Simply boil for 5-7 minutes, until they reach your preferred level of tenderness and then toss them into an ice bath in order to preserve the beautiful bright green color.
Once the beans have cooled and the cooking has halted, drain them – removing as much excess water as possible.
Return the beans to the bowl, toss with your favorite mustard, a splash of cooking oil, salt, pepper & a bit of sugar.
My mouth just watered as I recalled how good these were. I almost had to end this recipe right here, for lack of green beans left to roast. The chilled tender green beans and that sweet and spicy mustard sauce — so very good.
Thankfully, I refrained from eating them all and had enough to oven roast.
15 minutes on 400° is all it takes to turn that mustard sauce into a sticky, sweet, spicy coating for the slightly crisp and still perfectly tender fresh green beans.
For me – this a an entire meal. And talk about easy!
- 1.5 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and washed
- water, for boiling
- ice bath
- 3 - 4 T sweet & spicy mustard (Djion works nicely too)
- 2 T cooking oil
- 1 t sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Bring a large (6-7 qt) pot of water to boil. Once the water is boiling, add 1 T salt to the water and carefully add green beans. Boil for 5-7 minutes, until desired tenderness is reached but the green beans have still maintained their brightness. While the green beans are boiling, prepare an ice bath by adding ice and water to a large mixing bowl.
- Drain green beans and place in the ice bath until the beans are chilled, halting the cooking process. Drained the chilled beans, taking care to remove any excess water. Place beans back into the mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place green beans on prepared baking sheet, drizzling residual mustard sauce over the green beans.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Serves 4