White Chicken Chili Gumbo
This White Chicken Chili Gumbo is the perfect meal for a rainy, gray fall day (like today)! It’s a little spicy, hearty and full of flavor. Tied with the comforting, hearty flavor of this chili gumbo is just how amazingly easy this meal is to make.
It’s really all about having some pantry staples on hand ((I’ll tell you more about that in a sec)). Here’s what you’ll need:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs (fresh)
- chicken broth
- white wine (I used Moscato)
- garlic cloves
- green chili powder
- Mexican oregano, dried
- white pepper
- kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- medium hot pepper, chopped
- bunch chopped cilantro
- chopped fresh okra
- heavy whipping cream
- thawed langostino, shrimp or crawfish (cleaned, deveined and shell removed)
- cannellini beans
As far as a stocked pantry goes – I keep the seasonings, wine, and herbs on hand. I try to keep some boneless skinless chicken thighs in the freezer, but for this recipe I used fresh chicken thighs. If you use frozen just add an hour to the cooking time.
Have you noticed how gorgeous the okra is?? It is from the okra plants in my garden that are producing like crazy. With all the okra production, I am looking for new ways to use it up. Check out my Oven Roasted Okra recipe HERE
If you don’t have fresh okra, you can easily sub frozen okra.
Along with the okra, adding the langostino ((thank you Trader Joe’s)) during the last 30 minutes of cooking time turned this white chicken chili into a hearty gumbo in a flash.
The addition of okra to this recipe (plus the cornstarch) made for a perfectly thickened broth. Poured over a bowl of rice – it’s quick cajun comfort food at it’s best.
With the first bite I thought to myself “I can’t believe I haven’t made this before!”. Trust me – I’ll be making it again very soon!
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (fresh)
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz water
- 8 oz white wine (I used Moscato)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 T green chili powder
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t Mexican oregano, dried
- 1 t white pepper
- 2 t kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (I used a pinch)
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1 medium hot pepper, chopped (seeded if desired)
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro (approximately 1 c chopped)
- 2 c chopped fresh okra
- 3 T heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb thawed langostino, shrimp or crawfish (cleaned, deveined and shell removed)
- 1-14 oz can cannellini beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 285°. Combine all ingredients (except cream, langostino & beans) in a 7-qt dutch oven, stirring to incorporate all ingredients. Cover and place in oven.
- Bake at 285° for 6 hours. After cooking for 6 hours, taste and add additional s & p as needed, stir in cream, langostino & beans. Cover & return to the oven for 30 minutes. Once cooking time is complete, serve over steamed rice.
- Serves 6