Cocoa + Rye Bread Crumb Brownies
You read it right – bread crumb brownies. Ever heard of such a thing?? Well, as weird as these brownies my sound – they actually make perfect sense. Not only are they sensible — they’re CRAZY tasty.
The flavor of the Cocoa + Rye Bread Crumb Brownies is super fudgy chocolate (mandatory for brownies, right?) with a hint of malty rye whispering through.
And really – now that I mention it — chocolate and malt/rye are natural neighbors, right? They go together in a magical way – and that’s exactly what happens in these brownies.
Well, what about the texture?? Dense and moist with a little something extra, thanks to the bread crumbs. That ‘little something extra’ is a wonderful chewiness that’s just different enough from the texture of a typical brownie to catch your attention in the most delightful way.
Now, flavor and texture are on point — but what about the ease of making this brownie recipe?? That’s one of the things that makes homemade brownies so very beloved — they are insanely easy to make.
Well, this recipe is no exception. Simply pulverize a few slices of rye or marbled rye bread in place of flour and everything else is just as wonderful as your grandma’s homemade brownies.
So here’s what you’ll need to make these Cocoa + Rye Bread Crumb Brownies ::
- brown sugar
- cane sugar
- melted butter, cooled
- sea salt
- dutch-processed cocoa power
- rye or marbled rye bread crumbs (made by pulverizing bread in a food processor)
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325°. Combine all ingredients in the ordered listed on the ingredient list.
Pour into a prepared (greased and parchment paper-lined) 8″x8″ or 9″x7″ dish. Spread brownie batter evenly.
Bake 45 minutes until center is set and edges are crisp. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Chewy, moist, fudgy and so chocolaty with a little bump of earthy rye flavor at the end — it’s the brownie I dream of with a little unexpected surprise.
I love these brownies! Such an unexpected star ingredient, that marbled rye! And really — what whimsical freedom that comes with this recipe!! Just to know how wonderfully bread substitutes for flour makes my imagination run wild! Cookies and even cakes could be totally reinvented with just this one substitute!
Cocoa + Rye Bread Crumb BrowniesIngredients:
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 3/4 c cane sugar
- 3/4 c melted butter, cooled (6 T)
- 6 heaping T dutch-processed cocoa power
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 c rye or marbled rye bread crumbs (made by pulverizing bread in a food processor)
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Combine all ingredients in order as listed on the ingredient list.
- Pour into a prepared (greased and parchment paper-lined) 8″x8″ or 9″x7″ dish. Spread brownie batter evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes until center is set and edges are crisp. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.