15 minute Taco Soup
Taco Soup is one of my family’s favorite meals – and justifiably so. It’s so delicious and easy and comforting! It’s adaptable to what’s in your pantry and your taste preferences. I suppose you could say it’s the Switzerland of food. With the promise of cooler weather creeping in and the start of the month that FALL begins — I couldn’t wait to share my favorite 15 minute recipe with you!
2 tricks for making delicious TACO SOUP
There are 2 tricks that guarantee delicious (and quick) taco soup.
- brown AND season ground beef ahead of time (bonus if you do this in bulk click to see another recipe I love with BULK seasoned taco meat)
- have the right combination of canned ingredients on hand (no rinsing or draining required!)
That’s really it! Those 2 simple steps will get this meal on the table and in the belly faster than fast food!
15 minutes before dinner, dump all the ingredients into a soup pot and bring to a simmer. While the soup is simmering, do yourself a favor and make some Jiffy cornbread — the combination of spicy soup and warm, sweet cornbread is glorious.
Looking for a little variety within this quick recipe? Add a can of corn, shredded rotisserie chicken or even 8 oz of cream cheese or Velveeta.
Full of extras, hearty, comforting and a little spicy, the soup checks all the boxes! I especially love the addition of condensed cream of chicken soup and canned refried beans, they create a thick velvety consistency with ease!
There you have it! This quick taco soup has saved the day at my dinner table more times than I can count! It’s spicy, hearty and DELICIOUS — and quick! The perfect accompaniment to your weeknight or game day menu.
15 minute Taco Soup
- 2 lb ground beef, browned and seasoned*
- 2 T taco seasoning (low sodium is preferred)
- 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can green beans, undrained
- 16 oz refried beans
- 15 oz can black beans, undrained
- 16 oz chicken broth (more or less to desired thickness)
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 thin slices fresh jalapeño (optional for heat)
- 1/4 c medium red onion, diced
In a large (5-6 qt) soup pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a low boil over medium flame. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Optional – garnish with additional peppers, onions, cilantro, grated cheese or sour cream as desired.
*when browning ahead, I like to pre-season 2 lb ground beef with 1 T taco seasoning and 1 t salt.