Oven Roasted German Sausage & Veggies
Let’s take a minute and talk about one of my favorite ways to get dinner on the table when time is short and dinner is quickly approaching :: “Sausage & Veggies” every time.
What puts this dinner idea at the top of my list?? Well, first – it tastes AH-mazing. Hearty & healthy, full-flavored and a little something for everybody can easily be tucked into the recipe.
Another favorite about this recipe: the sausage and veggies can hangout in the fridge for several weeks, just waiting for the moment you need them most.
Yes, I always keep a few packages of our favorite smoked sausage at the back of the fridge, reserved for the moment I look at the clock and panic, while the words “what’s for DINNER?!” fly through my brain.
The relief that washes over me when I remember my fridge is stocked for such a time as this is a welcome feeling.
I have shared a very similar recipe HERE ((check it out!)) ::
One of the biggest differences in today’s recipe is that I use a random mix of all the veggies I have on hand, chop them in a “matchstick” style for quicker cooking & add the pre-cooked sausage to the veggies during the last 20 minutes of cooking. My current favorite veggie to oven-roast is fresh green beans. They do something magical when tossed with a little oil and salt & pepper. A little crispy, a little sweet – really delicious.
After the veggies roast at 400° for about 20 minutes, top with the pre-cooked sausages and place back into the oven until the sausages are heated through.
This only takes about 20 more minutes during which, the sausages are releasing their juices and flavor, making the veggies taste even more delicious.
Talk about a one-pot meal! Hardly any clean-up and so very tasty!
And see what I mean about those green beans?? So yummy!
- 2 lbs smoked, or German sausage ((pre-cooked))
- 2-3 lbs of your favorite raw veggies*
- 4 T canola oil
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 t finely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Clean and chop veggies into 4" long sticks, or quarter depending on the size. In a large mixing bowl, toss the veggies in oil & salt and pepper. Divide the veggies in half, placing equal amounts into 2 9" x 13" bakers. Bake veggies at 400° for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the veggies from the oven, toss & place sausages atop the veggies. I placed 6 sausage links in each baker. Place the baker back into the oven for 20 minutes, reducing the cooking temperature to 350°.
- Once the sausages are hot ((through to the middle)), remove from the oven & allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6
- *I used a combination of new potatoes (10-12), ½ lb fresh been beans, 3 medium carrots, ½ of a large white onion, 4-5 cauliflower florets (about golf ball size), 1 medium yellow squash, 1 medium zucchini & ½ red bell pepper.