Giant Meatball Sub Sandwich for SIX
It’s time to share one of my favorite ways to get dinner on the table in under 35 minutes.
It’s not the most creative, but it always puts a smile on the herd’s faces, and it’s a breeze to prepare. Yes my friends – it’s a meatball sub sandwich … a giant meatball sub sandwich that is.
This meal uses just a few ingredients so it is important for the ingredients to be high quality. I use Trader Joe’s all beef frozen meatballs, Sister Schubert’s dinner rolls, freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese and a quick homemade marinara sauce. You could easily skip the “make your own marinara” step, but I think the extra few minutes are worth it. ((so tasty))
Start off by combining a 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes or a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of dried Italian herbs, salt and pepper to taste, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a pinch of sugar and 4 – 8 oz of white wine.
Bring the sauce to boil, crush the whole tomatoes and continue simmering until the flavors have combined (5 to 10 minutes).
Add the frozen meatballs to the sauce, cover with a lid and continue simmering until the meatballs are heated through.
Preheat the oven to 400° and slice rolls in half and place in a prepared baking dish (sprayed with nonstick spray).
Once meatballs are heated through, place both meatballs and sauce on the bottom layer of the rolls.
Top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese …
and cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until all of the cheese is melted.
Simple, easy and so satisfying! Hope this quick meal fix makes helps make busy dinner time a little bit easier for your family!
- 28 oz can crushed or whole tomatoes*
- 1 T dry Italian seasoning
- 4-8 oz white wine
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 12 dinner rolls, sliced in half
- 12-24 frozen meatballs
- 2 c Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded + 1/4 c for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium sauce pan over medium flame, combine first 6 ingredients. Bring sauce to a simmer, add frozen meatballs. Stirring occasionally, continue simmering for 10-15 minutes, or until meatballs are heated though.*
- Place the bottom half of each roll (in a single layer) in a prepared 9" x 13" baking dish. Top with meatballs & sauce, being sure to evenly distribute the meatballs.
- Top with 2 c shredded cheese. Replace the top of each roll and top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted through and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, remove foil and serve.
- Serves 6
- * substitute 4 cups of jarred marinara in place of homemade sauce.