Cheesy Pepperoni Chicken :: Hobo Dinner (simple, yummy camp food)
Cheesy Chicken Hobo Dinner!
It’s that time of year — the bitter biting air has been exchanged for cool breezes, trees are budding, green grass is peeking through the winter browns, birds seem to be chirping a happier tune: and that means it is camping season!
When you think of camping, many things probably come to mind – such as :: tents, hiking, campfire, fishing etc. But for me – the first thing that comes to mind is FOOD! And there is no better camping meal than a hobo dinner.
Hobo dinners are individually portioned meals wrapped in foil and placed over the open fire. (Actually they can be just as easily placed into a hot oven too)
You may be familiar with the most popular version of a Hobo Dinner which is a seasoned ground beef patty wrapped up with sliced potatoes, carrots and onions. You can view my recipe here.
For this twist on a classic, I simply used:
- chicken cutlets
- my favorite jarred pasta sauce
- sliced provolone
- sliced pepperoni
- thinly sliced potatoes & onions
- a few dashes of s & p
- a pat of butter to keep everything from sticking
Butter the center of each foil sheet to keep the potatoes from sticking.
Assemble each meal individually by stacking chicken atop potatoes and onions then topping with pasta sauce, cheese & pepperoni.
((putting the pepperoni on top of the cheese helps to keep the cheese from sticking to the foil))
Seal them up tightly – but leave some room for air to circulate inside.
Cheesy Chicken + Pepperoni Hobo Dinner Tips ::
Thanks to the thin cut of chicken and thin slices of potatoes and onions, these hobo dinners are done in under 30 minutes. Talk about easy — and wow, so full of flavor. No mess, no clean-up and so satisfying.
Leaving more time to camp, fish, hike AND celebrate Brod turning 13!
- 6 chicken breast cutlets
- jarred pasta sauce
- 6 slices provolone
- 6-12 slices pepperoni*
- 3 medium baking potatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- a few dashes of s & p
- 2 T butter
- Prepare 6, 18" sheets of foil by coating the center (10" square) with butter. Place a thin layer of sliced potatoes & onions in the center of the buttered foil. Sprinkle with s & p. Place chicken on top of potatoes and onions. Top with approximately ½ cup of jarred pasta sauce, cheese slice and pepperoni.
- Fold ends of foil together, creating a sealed pouch. Be sure to leave some air inside the pouch (don't press the foil against the top of the cheese and chicken).
- Repeat until all six pouches are made. Place pouches over the oven fire, rotating to keep them from burning**. After 20 minutes, check for doneness and cook additional if necessary.
- Serves 6
- *I used deli counter pepperoni to get the larger slices. If you use the smaller pepperoni, you may want to use 4-5 per pouch.
- **If you choose to make this in your oven, preheat the oven to 400°, place pouches on a rimmed baking sheet, 2" apart and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Check for doneness and serve.