Cookies & Cream Slab Cake
Cookies & Cream Slab Cake!
We just celebrated the 13th birthday of my middle boy and as the tradition in our family goes, I take requests and suggestions for Birthday Cake flavors.
After much discussion and many rejected ideas (momma always had final say, hah!), Brod and I settled on 2 possibilities.
They were both something I hadn’t thought of previously and as a result, he impressed me greatly. What’s funny is that about 10 rejected ideas and David began to shoot me “dirty looks”.
As if I was breaking the family tradition of letting the kiddos pick their B-day cake flavor with my quick, slightly harsh vetoes.
He forgot that momma has final say because mommy baked and birthed the birthday boy – but that’s okay.
My flurry of dismissals resulted in exponentially increasing Brod’s desire for me to agree and he started spouting off ideas right and left, each one slightly better than the last.
When the conversation was finished we had a cake plan. Once David heard the flavor we settled on – his dirty looks turned to hungry looks.
As you can see from the recipe title, Brody requested Cookies and Cream Slab Cake! Doesn’t that sound tasty?!
Good job Brod! Momma loves you, have a slab of cake!
This delicious cake is quite simple to make – mainly requiring all of the usual ingredients (don’t worry they are all listed in the recipe card) and a package of Oreo cookies. The entire cake is ready to serve in under one hour — perfect for this busy momma!
All the tips for a perfect slab cake!
flour, baking soda and salt (ignore the teeny flecks of pepper that wound up in my salt pig – they’ll disappear in no time).
Add the sugar to butter melted in water.
Whisk in sour cream.
Alternate adding flour and whisked egg.
Crush half of the Oreos.
Pour cake batter into a prepared half-sheet sized baking sheet.
Sprinkle top with crushed Oreos.
Mix together warm buttercream icing over the stovetop.
Add in the remaining half of the packaged Oreos.
Stir gently to combine.
Pour over the sheet cake!
Be sure to serve with milk — it’s a law!
- 1½ c water
- 3 sticks butter, salted
- 3 c sugar
- 3 c flour
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1t baking soda
- ¾ c sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 24 crushed Oreos
- ½ c milk
- 1 stick butter, salted
- 6 c powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- ½ t kosher salt
- 24 crushed Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare a rimmed half sheet baking sheet by coating with butter and lining with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan combine water & butter. Bring to a boil until butter melts. Remove from flame and add sugar, stirring to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt & baking soda). Whisk eggs in a small bowl.
- Alternating between flour and eggs, add each in thirds - stirring between each addition, until all ingredients are added & combined. Fold in sour cream.
- Pour cake into prepared pan and sprinkle crushed Oreos evenly over the top of the cake. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake is set and the center is no longer jiggling when the pan is nudged.
- While the cake is baking, prepare buttercream by melting butter in a medium saucepan with milk. Once milk and butter are combined, add vanilla, salt and powdered sugar*. Once desired consistency is reached, add crushed Oreos**. Stir to combine.
- Pour warm buttercream over warm cake, spreading to the corners.
- Serves 20
- *add powdered sugar 2 c at a time and stir to combine. Continue adding powdered sugar incrementally until desired consistency is reached.
- **I like to keep the crushed Oreos chunky.