Spicy Mexican Creamed Corn
This creamed corn side dish is a recipe I keep in my back pocket, ready to use when I am short on time and need a full flavored, simple recipe that is sure to please everyone. Now, before I share this recipe – be warned. This one is certain to break any New Year’s resolutions that involve fitting into a smaller size of pants.
But there’s always “portion control” so go ahead and give it a try!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- cream cheese, cubed
- diced fresh jalapeño
- chopped cilantro
- frozen sweet corn
- salt & pepper
Simply combine all ingredients in an oven safe (buttered) 9″x13″ dish. Season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and place into a 375° preheated oven.
OR – instead of placing the dish in the oven, make it ahead and cover it. Then refrigerate it until 45 minutes before serving. Bake as directed, but add an extra 10 minutes to the baking time.
Halfway through the cooking time, remove the foil and give the corn a good stir to incorporate the cream cheese.
You’ll know the corn is finished cooking when the cream and cream cheese are bubbly and thickened. Once cooking time is complete, allow the corn to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
The cream and cream cheese combine wonderfully with the juices from the frozen sweet corn, creating a rich, thickened sauce. The cilantro & jalapeño add amazing, complex, bold flavor flair — totally unexpected for how simple this dish is to prepare!
Depending on the heat of your jalapeño, you may want to remove the seeds before adding the diced jalapeño because the heat really intensifies during the cooking process.
(I love the heat combined with the fresh cilantro, sweet corn & cream sauce – this is my kind of comfort food!)
- 32 oz frozen sweet corn
- 4T butter
- 3/4 c cream
- 1, 8 oz block cream cheese, cubed
- 1-2 diced fresh jalapeño (depending on heat preferences)
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine all ingredients in an oven safe (buttered) 9"x13" dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil* and place in the preheated oven, bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and stir to incorporate the cream cheese.
- Continue cooking (with foil removed) for 20-25 additional minutes. Once cream & cream cheese have formed a thickened, creamy sauce and the center of the dish is bubbly, the corn is finished cooking.
- Remove the corn from the oven and allow to cool 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serves 8
- *OR - instead of placing the dish in the oven, make it ahead and cover it. Then refrigerate it until 45 minutes before serving. Bake as directed, but add an extra 10 minutes to the baking time.