When the moon hits your eye…
…it means you are starting dinner too late and speed cooking a big pizza pie – that’s amore´. It’s also amore´ because it’s quick and simple and under 10 ingredients!! Oh and it’s a healthy ninja recipe too!!
Speed cooking was the only way this day could have gone…well, I suppose fast food is always available. But for the same amount of time as it takes to get all of the kids to agree on which fast food chain they want to eat ((please tell me agreement is at least half of the battle in your family too…)), load the herd up and drive to get it AND pay between $30 and $35 for our family of 6–not to mention the high sodium, high fat and low essential nutrition… it ends up feeling like a bad option. I feel much better about myself and my pocketbook if I can offer a quick & cheap meal at home. I feel even better when I can squeeze in some nutrition.
My day started with herding the kids to school, followed by the middle boy getting braces, a dentist appointment for the girl, making sure Kade and Shep could get to their school program practice session on time, meeting with the builder for 2 hours, making lunch for Gracie, cleaning all that up, going to the school program, getting the kids home, checking homework,
forcing convincing the boys to practice their piano, making snacks, cleaning that up, making my speedy dinner and putting it in a pre-timed oven, going to my orthodontist appointment, serving dinner, sending them off to the evening showing of the school program and on…
I love our life and we are so blessed, buts sometimes it is very hard to do it all –well. The idea of speed cooking helps to check one thing off the list as “DONE…WELL”. I will give you many more ideas for speed cooking as I share our family’s Food for a Year with you. But I would love to hear your ideas and tips as well. You may be featured in an upcoming blog. So give me your ideas – how do you survive the “crazy”? Whether you stay at home with your family like I do, or work all day and then come home to juggle what is waiting at the door, some days can be so hard and rushed. Give this recipe a try – I bet it will help take a bit of “crazy” out of your day!!
- 1 refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust (2 crusts come in a box - just use 1)
- Turkey pepperoni slices - I think 30-40
- 1/2 lb. previously browned ground beef (or omit if you don't have it on hand or don't have time to cook it)
- 1 c. jarred pizza sauce
- 1 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large handful of fresh spinach, finely chopped*
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place pie crust in a round pie dish and crimp the edge. pour the sauce on the crust and top with meats, spinach and cheese**.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, until edges of pie crust are medium golden in color.
- Slice and serve.
- *Any variety of cheeses, veggies or meats work great for this recipe. I think what makes it so tasty is the unexpected use of a pie crust. It really makes it taste gourmet!
- **Using the cheese on top of the spinach helps to launch a spinach sneak attack on your diners...hah!