An Okie Girl’s Take on Orange Chicken
It’s been a little while since I shared an “Okie Girl’s Take” recipe, so I thought it was time to share something REALLY good. This version of orange chicken is super easy, full of flavor and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
It all starts off with a trip to Trader Joes. Doesn’t that sound fun?
For this recipe, I grabbed a few of my refrigerator favorites along with some sweetened dried orange slices and added it all to a pot of frozen chicken thighs and used my no fail dinner trick. Yes, this Orange Chicken has been “no-peeked”. No-peek cooking is my favorite cooking method and literally saves the day at least twice a week!
Read all about some of my favorite No-Peek recipes HERE.
Start off by combining a spicy BBQ, traditional BBQ, tamari or soy sauce and some apricot jam in a medium mixing bowl.
I used only 1/3 c. of the spicy Sriracha Roasted Garlic BBQ sauce because I imagined that the heat would intensify the longer it cooked. If you really love spicy food, add more – this sauce has a great flavor.
All in all, I added approximately 16 oz of sauce and jam ((in total)). Not pictured, but equally as important is the addition of 3 T of cornstarch. Once the sauces, jam & cornstarch were well combined, I poured it over the frozen chicken and some diced onions.
Then topped it with some of the sweetened dried orange slices. If you can’t manage to find this particular product, a sliced fresh orange should substitute nicely.
One hefty pinch of salt and black pepper and into the oven this meal went. Covered at 275° for 6 hours is all the cooking technique necessary for this delicious meal.
Simply serve over some steamed brown rice ((I picked this rice up in the Trader Joe’s freezer section – but feel free to use dried rice)) or white — depending on what you have on hand.
Although the oranges were edible, they were rather strong, so I picked them out before eating. But they imparted the most delightful, sweet orange flavor throughout this meal. I highly recommend grabbing them the next time you head to TJ’s.
This Okie Girl’s Take on Orange Chicken was a complete success according to my herd. Just enough kick, but balanced with sweet citrus and smoky BBQ. I will be making this again soon!
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs - I used frozen
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1/3 c sriracha ((or another spicy)) BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 c KC style BBQ sauce ((or your favorite))
- 3 T apricot jam
- 4 T tamari ((or soy sauce))
- 3 T cornstarch
- 5-6 sweetened dried orange slices, or 1 med fresh orange, sliced
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- Steamed brown or white rice
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 275°. Place frozen chicken* & diced onion in a large, 7-9 qt. covered dutch oven. Combine BBQ sauces, jam, tamari and cornstarch in a small mixing bowl & pour over the frozen chicken. Place orange slices on top of the chicken & sauce. Sprinkle salt & pepper over the chicken.
- Cover and place into the 275° oven for 6 hours. Once cooking is complete, shred the chicken, stir and season to taste.
- Serve over rice and garnish with chopped chives.
- Serves 8
- If using fresh chicken, subtract 1-2 hours from cooking time. Chicken breast can be substituted.