Sheet Pan Norwegian Cod w/ Roasted Summer Garden Veggies
Time for a simple & speedy meal that’s packed with garden-fresh flavors! This Sheet Pan Norwegian Cod is ready in under 25 minutes, perfect for a busy weeknight meal. And for me, as a little bonus, all of these veggies & herbs came straight out of my garden! But whether you are using homegrown or store-bought, use your favorite veggies & herbs and this simple meal is certain to be a fast favorite.
For this recipe, I used:
- a handful of super sweet extra-large heirloom cherry tomatoes,
- half of a lemon squash,
- half of a canary yellow bell pepper &
- one lonely okra
What’s up with the single okra?! – I can hear you wondering… Well, I didn’t want to run out to the garden and pick more, mainly because I wasn’t sure if oven roasted okra would taste good or nasty. Spoiler-alert, the okra was pretty much the bomb. But I’ll talk more about that in a minute.
Preheat the oven to 400° and place the cod loins on a foil-lined sheet pan that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Slice veggies and sprinkle over the cod loins.
Drizzle the fish lightly with canola or olive oil, sprinkle with s & p and some chopped fresh herbs. For the herbs, I chose thyme and chives but basil, parsley, oregano or dill would be delicious too.
Place the sheet pan cod & veggies into the preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes (possibly more or less depending on the thickness of the cod).
Because the veggies were thinly sliced, they were perfectly cooked, tender with just a little extra sweetness thanks to being roasted. About the fish: I’ll admit this cod is a bit overcooked – thanks to a phone call that got me distracted from my oven-watching duties at a critical moment.
Even though the fish could have benefited from a slightly shorter oven stay, it was still so delicious and packed with flavor (20 minutes is the recommended cooking time as written in my recipe card below – certainly not my over-cooked time, oops). The squash, tomatoes, yellow pepper and okra might just be my new favorite combination.
Speaking of okra, as the okra roasted, its juices combined with the other cooking liquids and created a slightly thickened sauce that was so tasty. The okra perfectly tender and flavor-packed, slightly sweet and a touch salty. I can’t believe I am saying this – but this oven roasted okra may even be better than fried okra. And that’s saying a lot coming from this Okie girl.
- 1.5-2 lb cod loin (I used Norwegian wild caught)
- ½ medium bell pepper, quarter & thinly sliced
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 6-8 okra, thinly sliced
- 2 T fresh chives, chopped
- s & p
- 2 t fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 T canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° and place the cod loins on a foil-lined sheet pan that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle veggies and chopped herbs over the cod loins.
- Drizzle the fish lightly with canola oil, sprinkle with s & p.
- Place the sheet pan cod & veggies into the preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes (possibly more or less depending on the thickness of the cod).
- When fish is cooked through and firm to the touch, cooking time is complete.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Serves 4