Spicy Bean & Rainbow Veggie ((No-Peek)) Veggie Stew
A pound of dried beans, a colorful medley of fresh veggies and a few pantry staples are often my ticket to a simple, tasty dinnertime solution. While away on our recent vacation, NO-PEEK bean stew made it’s way to our dinner table several times. In order to bring a little variety to my favorite no-peek method ((see more ideas HERE)), I switched up the veggies, spices and cooking liquid.
It’s always funny to watch the kids compare my different “No-Peeks” especially when leftovers from the last no-peek still exist.
With this stew, I was excited to use a mix of colorful locally grown veggies:
- red-skinned potatoes
- purple potatoes
- bright orange heirloom carrots
- fresh green beans
- lemon peel
- purple carrots
- red bell pepper
- white onion
- fresh Italian parsley
Along with the fresh veggies, I added 1 pound of dried pinto beans, 12 oz. of a local Indian Pale Ale, Old Bay Seasoning, s&p, water and my favorite — Tillamook Butter.
So, while I am hiking and sea-going with the fam, dinner is working away — and will be ready when I tiredly walk in the door with my starving herd. #thisdinnersavestheday
Thanks to the No-Peek, I had a lot more time to enjoy these views:
- 1 lb dried pinto beans
- 4 medium red skinned potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
- 2 medium purple potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 large shallot, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 2" pieces
- 4 medium carrots, washed & cut into 1" chunks
- 2-1" strips of lemon peel
- 1/4 c fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 T Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 t of each salt & pepper
- 12 oz Indian Pale Ale, or your favorite light beer
- 3-4 T heavy cream
- Heat oven to 225°. Combine all ingredients in a large lidded heavy pot. Fill the pot with with water to 2" below the top of the pot, cover and place in the oven. Cook for 8-9 hours. When cooking time is complete, add additional s&p, seasoning to taste and stir in 3-4 T of heavy cream.
- Serves 8
- If you need a shorter cooking time, increase the oven temperature to 325° and reduce the time to 5-6 hours.