Mom’s Simple Cranberry Salad
Well, mom told me it came from Laura’s mom – but since Laura’s mom is a mom and the cranberry salad is so very simple, I will still call it “Mom’s Simple Cranberry Salad”. But what you really need to know, besides it’s simplicity and mom origins, is that is tastes REALLY good! And — I bet at least one ingredient will surprise you!
Mom uses one can of jellied cranberry sauce (with no cranberries- but she told me to be sure and tell you that you can use the whole cranberry jellied sauce if you want), mandarin oranges (drained), one can on crushed pineapples (in heavy syrup, undrained), 1 cup of chopped pecans, one large box of any “red-colored” Jello, but she prefers raspberry.
Prepare the Jello by bringing one cup of water to boil and adding the Jello packet, stirring until sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved.
Place cranberry sauce in a medium mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher.
Add pecans and ((undrained)) pineapple.
Then add the can of ((drained)) mandarin oranges and gently stir in order to keep the mandarin oranges in tact.
Add the dissolved Jello to the fruit. Stir gently to combine.
Pour into a pretty bowl and chill until the cranberry salad is chilled or ready to serve.
Mom shared a couple of tips that I wanted to make sure to include:
- This salad lasts for about 10 days in the fridge.
- It is also the perfect dish to take to a family who is receiving meals ((like for the birth of a baby or a death or surgery or just because)). A green salad lasts a day or two tops, but this type of delicious salad lasts over a week.
- Any red Jello works great, but mom prefers raspberry.
- 1 large box raspberry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 large can pineapple in heavy syrup
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1 large can mandarin oranges
- Add Jello powder to boiling water ((in a small mixing bowl)). Stir to dissolve completely. Add cranberry sauce to a medium mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Add pineapple (undrained) and pecans, stirring to combine. Fold in mandarin oranges. Then pour in dissolved Jello. Stir gently to combine, taking care not to break apart the mandarin oranges.
- Once the cranberry salad is evenly mixed, pour it into a pretty serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve ((or until it is set)).
- Serves 8-10 and lasts up to 10 days refrigerated.